Saturday, June 11, 2011

The past week... Neuquén style!

It was a beautiful Zapala day. Out of the blue, I got a call from Juanjo. The phone line almost errupted in excitement! I wasn't sure I heard right. They wanted me to do an interview for a TV station in Neuquén? What?! Even though it meant postponing my trip for yet another week, there was absolutely no chance I would decline.

Monday meant meat truck transportation to Neuquén for my Tuesday interview. As I waited for the truck to arrive, I stepped outside. Snow, I thought, as white flakes danced down from the cloudy sky. I caught a few on my hand. But they didn't melt. I brushed them off, and they left a grey streak. Ash!

Yes, a few days prior Volcano Puyehue had errupted and dumped ash all over my beloved Bariloche. Closing the airport, confining people to their homes to concoct end-of-the-world theories, and blanketing the city. On Monday the ash arrived to Zapala.

And in fact the ash cloud followed me to Cutral Co and even to Neuquén. Word has it that it has shut down airports as far away as Buenos Aires and Brazil! Nuts.

On Tuesday, Juanjo and I arrived at the TV studio. I was super excited.

I met Cata and Cristian in the studio and waited patiently for my turn.


I made friends with the makeup artist and the security guard. Then before I knew it: lights-camera-BIKE, I was on live TV!



It flew by! I maybe said half the things I wanted to mention. But I loved it! I am in the process of uploading the video to YouTube. Hang in there, tomorrow I hope to have it up and running!

And of course the interview ended by Juanjo whispering to the producer that I liked to sing. And so it was thus announced on air. Flustered, I denied it. And avoided the topic until the comercial break.

Cata mentioned that she was scheduled to sing at a bar the next day, and invited us along. We arrived fashionably late and sat at the bar sipping Fernet and Cola from straws.

Surprise! Cata announced through her microphone that for her next song, yes, yours truly would be accompanying her. Yikes. I shuffled my way to the stage.

After a few words, some applause, and a thorough throat-clearing... the music began.

We sang Alanis Moressette's "Hand in my pocket" and got a standing ovation! So much fun.

Neuquén, as always, proved to be a great time. Lots of Fernet, scowering the city for a used guitar, truco battles, good food, unexpected blackouts, and a healthy dose of eye-stinging and lung-burning ash.

Rafa and Gustavo, my truckdriving buddies, let me bum a ride with them for the third time. Again, they didn't let me pay for food, they gave me a goodhumored hardtime for my lifestyle choice, and they even bought a wine-box wallet each! I think that officially makes me a professional Artesan. Gracias chicos por toda la buena onda!!

So here I am, yet again, in Zapala. The weather has gotten wintry cold. I'm eager to get north, but sad to leave this place. So many wonderful people have made this pit stop amazing. It'll be tough to pedal away.

Coming soon... recordings of my TV and radio interviews!!

No comments: