Tuesday, January 19, 2010

i should have given madryn a chance before i judged it.

there´s a 4km walk from the campsite to downtown madryn. it´s all coast. the water is a spectacular shade of blue. from afar. close up you can allow your eyes to wander over the colorful candy wrappers and scraps of paper. there are a lot of people. comparatively. perhaps if i was previously in las grutas or miami i would be frolicking in the stretches of unclaimed sand, but as it stands i´m a bit disgusted. humans, in large numbers, can be distructive and filthy. especially in hot climates with salt water.

the loud pumping dance music in the campsite kept beat until well after midnight.

traveling alone, again to my parents´ dismay, is perfect for me at the moment. i have a lot of time for thinking and being productive. i enjoy my me-time, a lot. but i do get lonely every once in a while. it´s great incentive to get out there and meet some good people.

the more i travel alone, the more i realize the importance of local contacts. miriam dropped by the campsite and picked me up for lunch. i sat with her, her two daughters, son, and niece eating tartas of three varieties responding to their questions rapidfire. We swapped internet information and she made me vow to write to her in every city to let her know that I was safe and sound. She gave me a long hug when we said goodbye at the beach, saying that she felt that we had connected on a deep level. I met Andrea, from CouchSurfing, on that very same stretch of beach. We drank mates as people accumulated. After they left for work, I stayed on the beach reading until I felt that the sun had gotten the better of me. I love meeting new and exciting people. And I´m doing just that. And in large quantities.

I´m headed south tomorrow to the big-oil-rich-business city of Comodoro Rivadavia. Should be just a transit stop on my way further south, but who knows what I´ll find that might tempt me to stay longer. Chau.

(ps. the computer I´m on won´t allow me to upload photos)

No comments: