Saturday, January 16, 2010

coast.

What I like best about this trip and what sets it apart from all others Ive had thus far, much to my parents dismay, is that I dont have a setinstone plan. I dont have specific dates to be in specific places with specific people. Instead of worrying myself with a set route or timetable, I instead let the trip take me along and I enjoy every moment of it.

Yesterday I left Esquel around 11am headed to Puerto Madryn. I got a ride from a porteño to route 40 where he went north and stuck my thumb south. Chachi, from Sierra Grande, drove me to Tecka. We moved from small talk to bigger talk. He told me a very sad very personal story that had prompted his journey from the coast inland. It made me think. A lot.

Next a couple from Comodoro let me hop into the back of their pickup. I set out with the wind in my hair and watched the Andes disappear behind the increasingly rolling desert dunes. The sun was fierce and gasoline was scarce. I never knew Argentina had so much desert. Half way across, I shared the back seat with the rabbit as we threw the bags in back. The conversation was draining but entertaining. They left me right outside Trelew, heading towards Madryn.

The sun was super strong. Super strong. A 29 year old trucker from Neuquen picked me up. The sun and intense conversations drained my energy. I decided, with his help, to head north. Juanjo is in Playas Doradas, so I decided that I would go there to visit. The land is FLAT in this part of the country. No mountains to be seen. Hard to believe its the same country!!

Arrived to Sierra Grande around 9pm. No cell service. Waited til 11pm for Juanjo, but my drooping eyelids got the best of me. The locutorio woman let me stay in a back room for free.

This morning I woke up and after the morning mate, got a ride from a friendly family to the beach. Super friendly. I found Juanjo making facturas in the panaderia. About time because I was starting to lose a bit of weight. I learned how to make churros. I sat on the beach. I walked on the beach. Made more churros.

Maybe Ill stay a few more days!! Photos to come!

2 comments:

Ed Gragert said...

Hi Alisa, When I visited Puerto Madryn in 1994, I was struck by how much it reminded me of Eastern Washington--dry, flat. But, having the ocean nearby was refreshing.
Ed

Unknown said...

I spent there two weeks there! the place and the area was incredible. I rented a flat with Buenos Aires real estate and it has been an extremely pleasant experience which I can recommend to everyone who plans to go to Argentina.