Sunday, September 14, 2008

You are what you eat?!

We were supposed to leave for Cuenca today, but things in Ecuador never go as planned. After spending a few days with traveler's tummy, this morning Nate's condition got worse. His fever worsened and his fatigue increased as did the number of trips to el baño. I knew it wouldn't be wise to go to Cuenca, a 8 hour bus ride away, in his condition. The hostel reception called the médico, who arrived in a matter of minutes.

After a brief examination, the doctor announced that Nate had a case of Salmonella and subsequently had pretty severe dehydration. Nate's intestines were failing to absorb any water, so everything was passing right through.

I know. I know. Too much information. So, the cure? An IV in the arm for about 8 hours. Antibiotics. And a whole cocktail of other injections.


While Nate's eyes were closing, the doctor gave me a prescription and further care instructions.

No milk (or milk products: yogurt, cheese...)

No fried food (WHAT? What else is there to eat in Ecuador?!)

No eggs (or egg products: cake! haha. ya hear that, Nate?)

No coffee (done!)

No papaya or banana (don't think we'll have a problem following that one)


But he'll be fine
. I repeat: he'll be back to normal, if not in a few hours, then definitely by tomorrow. He's a tough kid and there's not much that can hold him down! In fact, his skin is so tough that it bent the doctor's needle! True story.

Just thought I'd keep you all informed on our situation! By the way, my Spanish medical vocab is getting much better. Thanks mom and Nate!

3 comments:

Peaceful Road Warrior said...

OMG. Just when I thought you both would be able to take a deep breath and relax.

Come se llama IV in Espanol?

I'm so glad that you are getting medical attention when you need it. Let me know if I should express mail some umeboshi (Japanese sour plums that cure all ailents).

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the update Alisa! that woman didn't know you were an allstar tour guide and an undercover nurse!
much love from CA, nicky and jon

p.s. the hat looks great.

p.p.s. last night we used some of the black sesame spice you two left us - made even cabbage delicious!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness: I stumbled upon a way to leave comments!

First: Thank you God for taking care of Nate and Alisa. And thank you Alisa for taking care of Nate and keeping Mike and the rest of us informed.

I hope tomorrow sees a big improvement.

Alisa you look beautiful in all the photos and Nate looks so handsome and more important, you both look--with the exception of the latest blog--very happy traveling over there together.

Thanks for keeping us posted. And God bless and lots and lots of love you two--Mom/Terri