Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Che, felicidades desde Bariloche!


Have I been neglecting my blog? Yes, perhaps. Have I forgotten about you all, my lovely readers? Not in your wildest dreams.

Let me first wish you all muy felices fiestas. Here the holiday season brings me long hours at the reception desk and limited hours in the summer sun, but I’m keeping busy and happy.

The reception at the hostel is a bumpy ride of ups and downs, stresses and giggles. I meet lots of travelers and get to practice my languages. It’s a job that keeps me on my toes, but one that I know is only temporary. But the other week I started full-time. That means 8-hour shifts 6 days a week. It’s a lot. I’m sure when the paycheck comes around I’ll be glad I put in those hours, but sometimes I have to remind myself to keep a smile on. The thing I love most about working in the center of town and living on km 7.3 is being able to hitchhike to work. Haciendo dedo, I meet so many awesome people and it’s way quicker (and cheaper) than taking the colectivo. Thumbs up!

The Conroys (and Larner-Lewis) descended on Bariloche. First Terri, Nicky, Jon and Sean arrived and we moved into the lake-side apartment meant for 8. This meant awesome food creations and many hours laughing and talking. After his first flight was canceled due to Rochester snow, Mike arrived a few days later than expected, but just in time for the food and festivities!

Although I was unable to attend most day-time excursions to El Bolsón, Cerro Camapanario and circuito chico, I was able to partake in dinner preparation and feasting. Nate and I pulled out our we-had-too-much-time-on-our-hands Argentinean menu and we all took turns popping the cork on the Malbecs. Thanks to all for lending their skills in the kitchen. Side note: Mike is the steak extraordinaire!


It was great having everyone here. Too bad I was behind a reception desk for most of it, but I hope you all had a fun and learning experience. See you for your next visit! No, I mean it! We have a futon this time!!!!!!


Happy New Years! To be honest I don’t know if I have any resolutions, I’m right were I want to be doing what I want to do. Maybe I’ll resolve to have more traveling in my life. Wink wink. Nate and I have started working on our Thai. No joke.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Alisa,

Thanks so much for being such a gracious host to us--not to mention a link to communicating our needs and desires, so we of little Spanish could easily navigate scenic and friendly Bariloche.

We needed you and Nate, of course, yet it is encouraging to know that a few important words can allow one to get around and connect with others!

It was surreal to be in a place that had previously been a spot on a map, one I'd never envisioned visiting.

Having been fortunate enough to experience just a little bit of what God has created has fueled my interest in traveling to more areas all over our world.

I guess a plane trip is much like labor or an immunization shot: a reasonable amount of pain for the prize.

Thank you again for being your ever so ever so gracious and sweet self. I hope your futon gets lots of company in the next year from others who take advantage of having you and Nate situated in such a beautiful city and part of the world.

Love, Terri

ali sa said...

Thanks for your lovely comments, Terri! It was certainly a pleasure to have you all here and it makes me so happy to hear that we may have passed on the traveling bug to you!

Please know that you are always welcome (and this time we have the fabulous futon, thank you so much!) and maybe next time I won´t be stuck behind a reception desk for your entire visit!

Have a happy and healthy semester!

Much love from Bariloche,
Alisa

Unknown said...

Alisa-

Thank you for being such a fun and gracious hostess! (the 'hostess with the mostest'! as my mom would say!). You guys made our trip so easy and enjoyable that we were able to explore and enjoy a new part of the world without worrying about how to get around in a foreign place (as i am phenomenally bad and stubborn with languages - at least nate got sean to learn the language of paying for bus fare!).

Jon and I are already trying to figure out how to come visit you guys again (and Jon's friends want to come too based on his reports so look out!).
I wish we had more time with you! next time!
great job setting up in a new place.

love, Nicky (and lala Jon)