Tuesday, August 2, 2011

And then I left.

After exactly a month in Mendoza, I’ve left.

One month. One month! Can you believe it?

One month is a long time when I was planning to stay for only a few days. One month is not a long time, in the grand scheme of universal happenings. But one month is one month. And it’s the perfect amount of time, because, well, it’s the amount of time I spent. And it couldn’t have been different, even if it wanted to be. Impossible.

But, let me tell you, leaving wasn’t an easy decision to make. I’ve made a space for myself here. Mendoza is a city like any other. But I’ve discovered that I can make myself comfortable any where I set my multicolored sneakers and mismatched socks. Like a winged tortoise. Like a chameleon with a hearty sense of adventure. Like an accordion crossing paths with a freshly plucked orange. Like a grizzly bear with a change of heart.

I left rather abruptly. I didn’t want to drag out my departure. There were many things I hadn’t done. There were many places I didn’t visit. There were many things that did not and will not happen…. But there always will be. It is impossible to do everything. So you must chose to do what is important to you. Do them. And move on.

The decision was made tough by the wonderful friendships I’ve had the extreme pleasure of weaving. My artesan friends who patiently let me into their beautiful world of creativity. My couch surfing friends who were my partying partners in dance clubbing, asado savoring, mate sharing, mountain climbing, and Sabina-soundtrack countryside driving. And Diego. Diego has a spark and energy that is unmatched. It’s no wonder that for three weeks we were almost inseparable. Climbing trees at 4am. Singing everything everywhere and at all hours. Watching really good movies. Cooking elaborate meals and then eating until bursting. Scheming. Yelling at the soccer game screen. Guitar and harmonica-ing. Making bad jokes and then laughing. Yes, the people here in Mendoza have won a very awesome place in my heart. It was very hard to leave.

But I did. And I feel good about it.

So where am I headed now? Towards Cordoba! Towards new adventures. I'm so excited!

No comments: